Twilight Princess tips and tricks
Originally written by NoWar and Loup and translated by Manon
First of all, you have to distinguish between bobber fishing (onto land with Colin's fishing rod) and lure fishing (in a canoe at the Fishing Hole).
- Bobber fishing (no boat, with Colin's fishing rod)
- What you can catch with bobber fishing
- Where is the Fishing Hole located?
- Lure fishing (by boat at the Fishing Hole)
- What you can catch with lure fishing
- List of baits and lures
- Where to find bee larvae
- Where to find worms
- How to get the sinking lure
- How to get the frog lure
- How to catch the legendary fish (Hylian loach)
- Help picture
Bobber fishing (no boat, with Colin's fishing rod)
This can be done wherever and whenever you want in Hyrule. You just need a fishing rod and some baits, if possible. After catching a fish, it's released into the water in exchange for a small heart. To bobber fish, assign the fishing rod to the "B" button thanks to the menu of the "-" button. After that, place Link on a body of water's edge. Press "B" once to make Link grab the fishing rod. At this moment, if you have a bottle of larvae or worms, assign them to the left, right, or down keys, and press the respective key so that Link puts the larva or worm on the hook. Then press "B" one last time to perform a back and forth movement with the arm like an actual throw.
What you can catch with bobber fishing
You can record 6 species of fish in your fish journal, as well as the number of fish and their maximum size caught. Here is the list of the 6 fishes:
- Greegills: Can be found almost everywhere, quite small and green, they are easy to distinguish from the others
- Reekfish: Can be found at the bottom of Zora's waterfall on the western shore, between the two peaks that get out of the water. They are big and red, you need the Coral Earring that Prince Ralis gave you (see the walkthrough)
- Ordon Catfish: Can be found almost everywhere, in particular in the small pond behind the wooden bridge west of the Fishing Hole, or north-east of Ordon Village, where the monkey was with the cradle
- Hylian Pikes: They are also quite widespread, especially in the middle of Lake Hylia.
- Hyrule Basses: They are also quite widespread, especially in the Fishing Hole's pond.
- Young Hylian Loaches: They are quite small (about 12 inches) and can be found in the caves of Lanayru Spirit or in the pond behind the Kakariko graveyard for example, but also in the room of the Big Key in Lakebed Temple. (It is the younger version of the legendary fish).
Moreover, at the Fishing Hole, you can also find:
- A wheel
- A twig
- A boot
- An empty can
- Bags of rupees
- The sinking lure (see point 9)
- A bottle (in the small western pond closed by a small bridge, there's just one bottle)
And outside Hena's Fishing Hole:
- Skullfish (in Lakebed Temple, but is not registered in the fish journal)
- Bombfish (in Lakebed Temple, but is not registered in the fish journal)
- A wheel
- A twig
- An empty can
- A bag of rupees
- A boot
Where is the Fishing Hole located?
You've got to go to Lanayru Province, specifically near Upper Zora's River. Once there, walk along the western wall after the hut where you can rent a boat. The door is located in the wall soon after the sign "welcome to Hena's Fishing Hole".
NB: Each time you leave and enter the Fishing Hole, the season changes. There are four seasons that are more or less useful to do certain things.
Lure fishing (by boat at the Fishing Hole)
To lure fish, you need to enter Hena's cabin at the Fishing Hole and talk to her. She will give you two choices. The first one costs 20 rupees but you'll have to go by yourself. The second one costs 100 rupees, and she'll come with you.
To fish, you need to move the canoe to the desired location with the nunchuck's joystick. Press "B" to make Link grab the fishing rod. With the joystick you can choose to direct your throw to the right or left. Press "A" and raise the wiimote. Then while performing a throw gesture, release "A". Once the lure is in the water, it's possible for you to wave it by shaking the wiimote to attract the fish. When it bites, raise your wiimote to strike and start to reel. If the fish jumps out of the water, strain down the wiimote in order to keep the fish hooked while keeping reeling. As the fish draws closer to the boat, press "A" and "B" together when a message appears at the bottom of the screen to get the fish into the canoe.
Throughout the day, the water becomes more and more cloudy. Sometimes, at the end of the day, it rains and it becomes almost impossible to see underwater and catch a fish. That's why it is better to fish early in the morning.
What you can catch with lure fishing
It is possible to fish 4 kinds of fish, but they can't be registered in the journal. The bigger ones caught are placed in Hena's aquarium. You can also catch a Piece of Heart.
For the fish, walk along the pond and look for them... If you always catch the same fish, try to change the season by leaving the area and entering again. Fish like oxygenated water, so try to fish near waterfalls, for example.
The Piece of Heart is located to the right of the small isle. Come nearer and catch it by lure fishing.
List of baits and lures
Baits are useful for bobber fishing. Fish are more attracted by the hook, while lures are useful for lure fishing, each one at a specific point.
- Bee larvae
- Swimmer Lure (available from the start): nothing special
- Spinner Lure (available from the start): attracts nervous fish, due to the splashing sound when it moves
- Popper Lure (available from the start): attracts deep-water dwelling fish
- Sinking Lure (see below): the ultimate lure, allows you to catch fish very quickly
- Frog Lure (see below): recommended for Hyrule Loaches
Where to find bee larvae
You have to shoot a beehive with your Slingshot or Clawshot, and fill a bottle with the wastes of the hive. You can put 10 larvae in a bottle. Several beehives can be found in Hyrule, for instance:
- At Ordon Village, on the tree behind the house located opposite Sera's Sundries
- At Hena's Fishing Hole, on the east side of Hena's cabin (watch out for bees)
- In Kakariko Graveyard, just before the path leading to the king's tomb
Note: You can also eat larvae: a larva regenerates a quarter of a heart.
Where to find worms
At the Fishing Hole, you must turn into a wolf and dig behind the signs, then turn back into a human and fill a bottle (one worm per bottle). The first sign is located at the entrance next to Hena's cabin, and the second one is just before the western bridge. There is another worm at the foot of the second tree to the right of Hena's cabin, in a tuft of grass in the hollow of the tree.
You can also get some by striking the small fast enemies in Lanayru or Faron fields, by digging in the vegetable gardens (as a wolf) at Ordon Village, and by digging the holes on the roof of Barnes' shop at Kakariko Village (ask the Goron nearby to climb).
How to get the sinking lure
First, to get the sinking lure, you need to put three different species of fish in the aquarium, as well as Prince Ralis' earring. Once done, walk to the far east on the map. Have the wall to your right, and use Colin's fishing rod. Here you are... the sinking lure is yours.
How to get the frog lure
You have to complete the first eight levels of the Rollgoal game, located in Hena's cabin. Rollgoal is a game that costs 5 rupees and which involves rolling a ball over a track by driving it with the Wiimote.
How to catch the legendary fish (Hylian loach)
First of all, it's better to own the sinking lure. After that, go to the Fishing Hole in the summertime (summertime only! when the leaves are green). Rent a boat without Hena (otherwise she will seize the sinking lure) and go to the north part of the pond where there are water lilies. Throw the lure in the middle of them and you'll end up catching the legendary fish.
However, the Hylian loach can also by caught in the last chest's room in Lakebed Temple. You can also find it at the spring of Lake Hylia, and sometimes in Kakariko in front of the Zora's tombstone (where you found the Zora armor).
If you fill Hena's aquarium with a fish of each species, you'll be given a picture of you catching the legendary fish to the right of the cabin's counter. Hena congratulates you and tells you that she would never have imagined that her dream would become true that early, then she whispers that the photo is a fake...
If you complete all the Rollgoal's levels, you will be able to play again for free and to choose the level. Hena will stock you up on rupees.
Roll four times inside Hena's cabin to be thrown out. You'll have to apologize to be allowed to get in again.
The yellow cursor shows the location and direction to catch the sinking lure.