Skyward Sword tips and tricks
The treasures can be collected during the entire game even at the very beginning.
You can exchange them for a better equipment but also for other things.
There are 16 types of treasures, 3 of them are rare (3 last in the inventory) and the others are common.
Their locations are randomly selected, only a few are fixed. Therefore I classified the rare and the common treasures by location instead of type.
Carrying the Treasure Medal improves the chance of finding treasures, as well as the Cursed Medal.
A big thank you to Do A Barell Roll who almost wrote every paragraph "Full inventory".
Here are some information about each treasure:
You can get this treasure by dropping a hornet nest (either by shooting at it, or by rushing into the tree) in Faron Woods and by grabbing these precious larvae.
Full inventory: When you enter the Deep Woods shoot the nest or roll into the tree, take the Hornet Larvae and get back to the exit. Go back to the Deep Woods and restart.
You can also launch the Beetle to drop the second nest that is above the void a few meters away but you won't save that much time. This is not the best way but at least it allows you to get Hornets and also Bird Feathers or even Blue Bird Feathers.
Bird Feathers can be collected by catching red and orange birds with your Bug Net in Faron Woods, Deep Woods and in front of the Sealed Temple.
Full inventory: Go to the west of the Great Tree in Faron Woods near the underwater entrance: there are two groups of birds allowing you to alternate between them. Just get close to them slowly and use your Bug Net. Then go away from the spot and wait for the birds to come back. Pay attention to their colours and try to get the Blue Birds, rarer than the normal birds!
You can get these dry grass balls by catching them with your Bug Net in the north and south parts of Lanayru Desert, as well as at the Ancient Harbor (Sand Sea) and at the Shipyard. The Tumbleweeds appear when there is some wind or dust. Stand in an open space (e.g in the south part of the desert at the base of the slope) and wait for a while.
A Tumbleweed can be found at the beginning of the desert (south part) by climbing a flat rock and then opening a blue chest (near the three cages).
Full inventory: In Lanayru Desert next to the Warehouse, from the door, walk along its wall, get rid of the Ampilus which will charge at you, then stand next to the cactus, take your Bug Net and wait! Tumbleweeds will arrive from behind you every 20 to 30 seconds: try to face the largest and the longest space possible. If no Tumbleweed arrives, move in circle around the cactus once or twice. It works at any location you've already seen a Tumbleweed appearing. You just have to find the perfect spot to make them appear faster but there are only a few spots with the same rate as the Warehouse and an obvious landmark like the cactus.
Once defeated, Lizalfos almost always drop their Lizard Tail.
Full inventory: In Shipyard, fight the two Lizalfos near the dock, then enter and exit the "station" to make them appear again! (Try not to make them fall.)
These ores can only be found in the Eldin area. Some locations:
- In the Mogma's Cavern: While falling head for the left and open the blue chest
- In the Mogma's Cavern: In the maze room with several Pyrups, dig the ground in the southwest corner
- In the Mogma's Cavern: In the room occupied by some Bokoblins, see the three slides on the left and take the middle one to find a chest at the end
- When leaving the Mogma's Cavern, head south and dig the ground on the scratches (sometimes two ores)
- From the Bird Statue "Volcano Ascent" go east then south and dig the ground in the southwest
- At Thrill Digger location, dig the ground near Tubbert
- In the cave just before reaching the Fire Sanctuary, dig the ground on the west side (up to three ores!)
- In the room where you defeated the two Magmanos, after receiving the Mogma Mitts, dig the ground (see the walkthrough)
- In the room with a frog head and many water fruits, reach the northeast corner and dig the ground (also two red rupees!)
Full inventory: At the Volcano Summit dig the two nearest marks from the Earth Temple entrance, they often free ores like any hole in the Volcano. Get in the temple and go out to restart!
Many flowers are located in Lanayru Desert and in Lanayru Gorge when a Timeshift Stone is activated. A few locations:
- In the cave where the first Timeshift Stone is discovered
- At the entrance of the desert, strike the Timeshift Stone (hidden by a rock), then climb the vines to the right and take the flower. Get in the minecart and come back to pick another one!
- Below the Timeshift Stone located in front of the generator (west side)
- At the foot of the first Timeshift Stone near the first minecart
- Just on the right when you get off the minecart after going through the big tree at the centre
- In a room where you have to jump on several pillars while holding the Timeshift Stone, pick a flower on the path and another one in the opposite corner
- In the northeast part of the area, near the dead tree
Full inventory: At the entrance launch the Beetle towards the dead tree and activate the Timeshift Stone. Launch again the Beetle to take the Ancient Flowers that appeared in the grass around the tree. Exit the zone and go back to restart! If you don't have the Tough Beetle you can walk to it, it's longer but it's still the fastest way.
It randomly appears in many locations.
Full inventory: In Skipper's Retreat, slash the scorpions and remove the sand with your Gust Bellows. Between 1 and 4 Amber Relics plus one Goddess Plume may appear. Leave the room and get back into it to restart!
You can get this treasure by visiting the Silent Realms. However, you may find one in a blue chest but it's pretty rare.
Full inventory: Apart from the possibility to get them in the Silent Realms (during the adventure and the Thunder Dragon challenge) by losing intentionally (cheap...), you can buy some late in the game from the Moonlight Merchant in Skyloft, or win one at the Pumpkin Pull in Skyloft by scoring more than 400 points. In short there's not an easy and quick way to get one...
Once defeated, Chuchus, Deku Babas, Quadro Babas and Arachas (little scorpions) sometimes drop a Jelly Blob.
Full inventory: In the Sandship, slash every Arachas in the long hallway preceding the boss room and pick up all the Jelly Blobs. Exit and go back through the door at the beginning of the hallway to start again!
Once defeated, Keeses (bats), Ravens and little spiders sometimes drop a Monster Claw.
Full inventory: In Faron Woods near the Great Tree, strike the 7 ravens flying around the tree (pretty easy with the Whip) and the Keeses around Bucha (only with your sword). Exit the area by going through the underwater entrance nearby and go back to restart!
Or if you didn't reach that area yet: Go inside the Waterfall Cave in Skyloft and clear out every Keese. Leave the cave through the opposite exit and go back in the opposite direction!
You can get this treasure by stealing the horns that Bokoblins are carrying using your Whip! Avoid striking these Bokoblins as you can exit the area and go back to start again!
Full inventory: In front of the Earth Temple, steal the Monster Horn from the chief Bokoblin with your Whip, then get in the temple and get out to restart indefinitely!
Once defeated, Bokoblins sometimes drop an Ornamental Skull.
Full inventory: After completing the Sandship, the jail is full of Technoblins. Reach this place by climbing the ladder outside the ship, then once near the cage, slash them by using horizontal Skyward Strikes, and launch your Beetle to take the Skulls. Just backtrack to the door and get back in to start again!
Once defeated, Cursed Bokoblins, Cursed Keeses, Cursed Spumes and Cursed Lizalfos sometimes drop an Evil Crystal.
Full inventory: Play the Clean Cut Challenge on Bamboo Island, the Crystal is frequently given.
OR: In the Ancient Cistern basement, around the rope, get rid of all the Cursed Bokoblins, climb the rope, go back down and attack other Cursed Bokoblins again.
Blue Bird Feather
You can get this treasure by catching a Blue Bird with your Bug Net in Faron Woods, Deep Woods and in front of the Sealed Temple.
Full inventory: In Faron Woods go west of the Great Tree near the underwater entrance: there are two groups of birds, so more chances to find a blue bird. If there is none, run to them to make them fly away, walk back and wait for the next group of birds. If one is blue, just get close slowly, grab the feather using your Bug Net, get away and wait for other birds.
Once defeated, Bokoblins sometimes drop (not often) a Golden Skull.
Full inventory: After completing the Sandship, the jail is full of Technoblins. Reach this place by climbing the ladder outside the ship, then once near the cage, slash them by using horizontal Skyward Strikes, and launch your Beetle to take the Skulls. Just backtrack to the door and get back in to start again.
Sometimes or rather rarely, you can get this treasure in places where Amber Relics can be found. For example: at the bottom of the waterfall in Faron Woods, on the Great Tree; in the Sandship (2nd generator room or near the hatches), or in the Ancient Cistern (hidden in the grass). Carrying the Treasure Medal may be important.
Furthermore, you may get a Goddess Plume instead of a Dusk Relic when you're collecting them on the ground but it's very uncommon.
Full inventory: In Skipper's Retreat, strike the scorpions and remove the sand with your Gust Bellows, which allows you to get up to 4 Amber Relics, so four chances to find a Goddess Plume instead. Leave the room and get back into it to restart.
OR: Play the Clean Cut Challenge on Bamboo Island or Thrill Digger in Eldin Volcano to sometimes win a Goddess Plume.
The Goddess Plume is the rarest treasure that's why "Do A Barell Roll" has this tip for you: try to remember the locations you may have seen an Amber Relic because it may have been replaced by a Plume.
Here are the locations of the common treasures:
First of all, each time a Gossip Stone is found, a treasure is dropped.
- In the Warehouse, in a chest on a pile of crates in the east side of the room
- In the Warehouse, in a chest next to the generator
Lanayru Mining Facility
- In the room where there are several moving platforms and a Sentrobe shooting missiles at you, go to the centre of the room and open the chest
- In the Water Dragon's lair, on the outside ledge, on the east side
- In a chest near the Goron
- In a room with sand, several Deku-Babas and rising walls (see the walkthrough)
- In the last room where there are 2 Armos (see the walkthrough)
- In the 2nd basement, in the room where there are 5 lined up chests; 3 of them contain a common treasure, usually Evil Crystals and Monster Horns (see the walkthrough)
- In the room with a frog head and several water fruits, open the blue elevated chest (see the walkthrough)
- In the room with the big spiral staircase (after the two Lizalfos and before the "Strange Crystal" room), in a blue chest; use your Clawshots and aim at the highest vines to land on the platform with the chest
Small island northeast of the Isle of Songs
- In a chest high up; dig the ground on the cross and fly higher to reach the chest
- At the Clean Cut Challenge game: cut between 20 and 27 pieces
- At the Pumpkin Pull game: score between 400 and 599 points
- At the Thunder Dragon challenge - Boss Rush: by defeating exactly 2 bosses
And here are the locations of the rare treasures:
- [Bombs required] Northwest of the Great Tree on an elevated place where you have to jump from some vines onto other vines; place a bomb near the rocks to find a chest
- After getting the Heart Container from the travelling Goron, talk to him again and draw on the Goddess wall the drawing correspounding to the ancient writings. He'll give you a treasure for each new drawing
- After learning the Water Dragon's song, find the Kikwi named Erla who is at the same location since the beginning. Talk to him to receive a rare treasure!
- In the Mogma's cave where there is the Bird Statue, climb where a Mogma is and place a bomb near the cracked wall behind him to find a chest
- At the Thrill Digger game: if every good hole is digged
- In the room with the big ball, head for the northwest corner by going under the arch and open the chest. (There are sometimes a few "little" treasures underground)
- In the room with the big ball, head for the southwest corner, grab a Bomb Flower, go on the platform and throw it at the rocks to reveal a chest
- At the very beginning of the desert, place a bomb near the rock, hit the Timeshift Stone, climb the vines, grab the ledge, move to the left, let go a bit further, move forward while looking on the right, then jump towards the blue chest
Lanayru Mining Facility
- In the room where you find the Gust Bellows, in a chest in the northwest corner
- In the big room with underground paths under the sand (see the walkthrough)
- In the underground passages leading to the Water Dragon, where you have to blow up the rocks blocking the way, blow up the rocks on the west side
- In a big cave with several Electro Spumes, in a higher chest
- [Clawshots required] In the start area near a high tower, in a chest high up. You can reach it through the shortcut starting from Lanayru Caves
- At the Clean Cut Challenge game: cut at least 28 pieces
- At the Rickety Coaster game: make it between 65 and 70 seconds in expert mode
- At the Pumpkin Pull game: score at least 600 points
- At the Thunder Dragon challenge - Boss Rush: by defeating exactly 6 bosses
- At the Thunder Dragon challenge - Boss Rush: 3 rare treasures by defeating exactly 10 bosses
You may check out the Moonlight Merchant who sells six Treasures: Monster Horns, Dusk Relics, Evil Crystals, Golden Skulls, Blue Bird Feathers and Goddess Plumes.
Thank you to Solène, Antoine, Guy, Djo, Johann, Adam, Algar74, Rayman, Baaboo, Mr_Ice, Shadhawk and Maxime!