Twilight Princess tips and tricks
Pieces of Heart
As in most Zelda games, you can find Pieces of Heart. When gathered, they change into a complete additional Heart, but in Twilight Princess, it requires 5 pieces to create a Heart!
To help you find them, you can consult Madame Fanadi in her fortune-telling mansion, in Hyrule Castle Town's East Road. Pay 10 rupees and ask her for an advice on love...
Here are the locations of the 45 Pieces of Heart!
The numbers at the beginning of the lines show the chronological order in which you can get them.
- 1 - Before meeting Midna: While exiting the tunnel, go north-east of the great clearing and enter the passage. Set fire to the two torches to make a chest appear
or: After meeting Midna: Come back to the forest part which is plunged into the Dark Fog, either by south or east. Having your Lantern full of oil or an Oil Bottle in stock, progress into the Dark Fog while waving your Lantern and head for the north-east part of the map. Get in the passage, then light up the two torches to make a chest appear
- 39 - Once the Dominion Rod got its full power back, go where the Owl Statue is standing in Faron Woods (red dot on the map). Use the Dominion Rod on the Statue and bring it in a recess next to a rock. Turn into a wolf, get onto the rock, then with Midna's help, jump several times, and head for the chest
- 2 - In the room with wooden stairs and ramps surrounding the room (see walkthrough)
- 3 - In the easternmost room, where "jumping tiles" and four torches are located (see walkthrough)
Note: If you missed those two pieces and the monkeys are not there anymore, use the Clawshot to hang onto the vines
Hyrule Fields - Faron Province
- 4 - In the centre of the map, south of the bridge, look at the branches of a tree
- 6 - Return to Ordon Ranch, get closer to Fado, pick up a Horse Grass, whistle and get on your horse. Then talk several times to Fado until he suggests you to herd the goats. Herd the 20 goats into the barn like you did before, in less than 3 minutes
Hyrule Fields - Eldin Province
- 5 - South of Kakariko's Village and south of the small bridge, go east, along the gorges. Look at the Piece of Heart which spins around on top of the "rock stalagmite". Throw the Gale Boomerang to get it!
- 13 - [Bomb required] In the south on the map, along the country's border, before the bridge leading to Kakariko
Blow up the rock which hides a secret cave, then at the intersections, follow those directions: west, south-west, north-west and north-west, and set fire to the two torches
- 14 - [Bombs required] While leaving Kakariko by north, blow up the rock on the left at the end of the wall, then get up on the slope just behind. Jump towards the vines, climb up, then shoot a Bomb Arrow at the rock above the vines on the other side of the road. Jump towards the vines, climb up, then jump left towards the chest
- 22 - [Clawshot required] In the cave north of the Bridge of Eldin (see walkthrough)
- 25 - After repairing the bridge west of Castle Town, go to Kakariko and talk to the strange Goron in front of Malo Mart. Accept to carry Hot Spring Water. In the field, carry the barrel without dropping it, walk along the cliff in the field to avoid enemies, until you meet the Goron at the west door of the Castle Town. Stand behind him and throw the barrel on his back. In addition to the Piece of Heart, he opens a shop in the town's South Road.
- 29 - [Spinner required] On the narrow road north on the map, a small bridge is located halfway (near archers firing arrows). Use the Spinner with the rail on the wall north of the bridge and get down at the end. Turn into a wolf, dig in the middle of the grass, then turn back into a human. Get rid of the three skeletons by striking them then with a bomb, and open the chest. (There are also two small chests holding bombs)
- 40 - Once the Eldin Bridge is repaired and once the Dominion Rod got its full power back, stand near the Owl Statue on this same bridge. Use the Dominion Rod to bring the statue to the other side of the bridge and make it go down some steps near a ladder. Jump on the statue (easier as a wolf) then towards the ladder. Climb the ladder to find a chest
- 43 - [Double Clawshots required] South of Kakariko and south of the small bridge, go east near the gorge. Shoot the Clawshot at the target on the "rock stalagmite", then at the wall on the south side, then at the vines to the north. Head left along the vines to get to the other side, then open the chest. Get back to the field with the Double Clawshot
- 7 - In the very large room where you can walk on the ceiling (see walkthrough)
- 8 - In the room with two Beamos which fire laser beams (see walkthrough)
- 9 - After completing the Goron Mines, during the day, talk to the Goron on the west side of the road. Get on his back, then to the rooftop and keep on climbing. Talk to another Goron, go up, then climb the ladder. Talk to Talo and accept to make a demonstration. Fire arrows to reach the post without the Hawkeye!
- 10 - [Bomb required] Blow up the huge rock to the left of Eldin Spring, then follow the path towards south. Jump into the water, put on your Iron Boots, quickly open the chest and surface
- 11 - [Bomb required] To the left and in front of Eldin Spring (near some horse grass), shoot a Bomb Arrow at the three rocks atop the mountain, then throw the Boomerang at the Heart to bring it back!
- 12 - After completing the Goron Mines, get back to the second Goron on the path leading to Death Mountain. Talk to him, get on his back and jump towards the path east. Follow this path northwards until you find a cave in the rock wall. Get in, jump and open the chest
- 15 - Go to the attraction called "Flight by Fowl" to the north of the lake. Talk to the clown, pay 20 rupees, then pick up a cucco and jump in the air. Head for the multi-level platform to the right of the other clown's house and let go on top of the tower (or one floor below). The chest holding the heart is located one floor below the top
- 16 - [10 bombs+arrows and oil bottle recommended] South-east on the map, along the border, after crossing a small bridge and climbing a ladder. Blow up the rock hiding a secret cave, then at the intersections, follow the directions: west, west, north, east, east, east, north, south, west, east, and light up the two torches - see the map of the cave
- 23 - [Clawshot required] Go to Lanayru Spring (cave south on the map). Head east on the map, shoot the Clawshot at the vines and climb it. Go on southwards, open the door, light up the two torches and open the big chest
- 24 - After getting the Master Sword, go either on the bridge in front of Falbi's house, or on the strip of land to the south-west. At these two places a pretty bird called Plumm can be found. Turn into a wolf and talk to it. To play, howl near the Hawk Grass to call the Twilit Carrier Kargarok. Next you have to guide it to touch fruits (if possible several identical fruits in a row) to reach 10000 points!
Upper Zora's River
- 17 - After bringing back the Light on Zora's Domain, go to Hena's Fishing Hole (entrance in the north on the map). Get in the house, talk to Hena and rent a boat. Row towards north-east and look at the heart spinning around to the west on the rocks. Raise the Fishing Rod and throw it towards the heart, then reel to bring it to you.
It's also possible to get it without a boat...
Hyrule Castle Town
- 18 - In East Road, talk to the beggar and make him donations of 50 or 30 rupees. After receiving 1000 rupees, he will offer you the Piece of Heart
- 19 - In the large circular main room, on the ceiling chandelier. After finding the Clawshot, hang on one of the targets above the chandelier (see walkthrough)
- 20 - In a room to the west, accessible through the first floor, with three small round spinning platforms. The water must flow westwards so the small bridge goes up (see walkthrough)
- 21 - After finding the Master Sword: In the circular zone east of where the two giant statues are located, blow up the rock near the pillar at the centre of the zone, then turn into a wolf, use your senses and dig near the pillar. In the cave, turn back into a human and get rid of all the plants (tear off the hanging one with the Gale Boomerang)
- 26 - In the small enemy fortress, in its north-west part, turn into a wolf, then bite several times the piece of meat on the spit!
- 27 - In the room where four blue lights are located (see walkthrough)
- 28 - In the room with rails on several levels (see walkthrough)
Hyrule Field - Lanayru Province
- 30 - [Spinner required] From the Great Bridge of Hylia, on the path towards north, blow up the rock on the road (if not done yet). Follow this new path until you notice a rail at the bottom of the right wall. Use the Spinner on the rail to get on, then jump several times until you reach the top of the hill, and open the chest
- 34 - [Ball and Chain required] In the north of the field north of Castle Town, in a place with walls made of large rocks, place a bomb on a sunk rock and enter the cave. Break the ice with the Ball and Chain and solve the first puzzle like this: Push the crate located south-west towards north, then east and south. Push the crate at the south-east towards north, west, north, east and south. Push the crate at the south towards west, north, east and south. For the 2nd puzzle: Push the crate at the north-east towards west and south, push the crate at the south-east towards west, push the crate at the south-west towards north, east and north, push the crate at the south (the one on the left when getting in) towards north, east and south on the first switch. Push the crate at the north-east towards west, push the crate at the south towards west, north and east, push the crate at the north towards south, west, north and east, push the crate at the east towards south, west, north and east on the second switch. Finally 3rd puzzle: Push the crate at the north-east towards south, push the crate at the sout-west towards north, east and south, push the crate at the east (the same) towards west, push the crate at the south-east towards west, north, east, north, east, south and west, and finally push the crate at the west towards north, east, south and west!
- 31 - In the room with several chandeliers on which you have to swing (see walkthrough)
- 32 - On the second floor, in the corridor with a table and chairs, break the damaged floor with the Ball and Chain, then drop on the first floor (see walkthrough)
- 33 - After completing the Snowpeak Ruins: Go back to the top of the snowboard slope (near the warp portal), talk to Yeto and race with him. When you win, he proposes to start again. Return to the top, but this time talk to Yeta and race with her. After the area with trees, she takes a shortcut, that you must take too. Crouch a little before this passage and release the controller's button to jump up. It's better to have overtaken her before, otherwise the snow streaks are annoying. Then get back to the usual path and stay focus to the end!
Temple of Time
- 35 - After getting the Dominion Rod, in the second room where you have to shoot several times at the same switch (see walkthrough)
- 36 - After getting the Dominion Rod, go back to the 5th floor and get in the room to the south (see walkthrough)
- 37 - Once the Dominion Rod got its full power back, return to the temple's hall and turn left at the bottom of the stairs (where there is also a bug). Use the Dominion Rod on the Owl Statue and make it move a little, then enter the secret room and open the chest
- 38 - Return to this village after bringing back Ilia's memory. Turn into a wolf and go to the courtyard where the Howling Stone is located. Talk to the cock who suggests you to find 20 cats. Whatever you do, don't enter Impa's house, or you would have to start from scratch again. So search all the rest of the village and talk to the cats. A cat can be on the crates at the entrance. In your human form, use the Clawshot on the grate on the west side to visit a floor. Use it also on the east side, then go behind the next house, break the window of the house to the south with the Clawshot and jump through it to find another cat. After talking to the 20th cat, talk again to the cock and take the heart in front of Impa's house
City in the Sky
- 41 - In the circular room at the east, with a big strong plant to fight in the middle (see walkthrough)
- 42 - In the large room outside at the east, with flying blades which let you cross holes (see walkthrough)